Q: What is the problem solved by StorageGuard?
A: Although they are mission-critical, store all the production and recovery data and compromising them would be devastating to an organization, Storage and Backup systems are not secure.
Organizations struggle to harden and secure Storage and Backup systems mainly due to several reasons:
- Uniqueness and complexity of the Storage / Backup solutions which often run non-standard Operating Systems, unique API/CLI and cannot be deployed with an agent.
- A knowledge gap around storage and backup security which at times differs from endpoint security and require understanding of concepts such as Fibre-Channel, Backup architecture, Storage Pools and more.
- Lack of automated repeatable scanning that allow improving the security of Storage and Backup systems.
Most Storage and Backup systems contain significant vulnerabilities and security misconfigurations and are not configured to adhere to industry information security standards and best practices.
The increased rate of ransomware and other attacks on internal IT systems lead to a paradigm shift – perimeter protection is no longer sufficient, and high-value internal IT assets like Active Directory, Storage and Backup must be strictly secure at all times.
The implications of non-secure Storage and backup are:
- Petabytes of data (of hundreds of applications) vulnerable to cyberattacks.
- Compromised storage and backup will affect the organization ability to recover from ransomware and other cyberattacks.
Please sign in to leave a comment.